Welcome!

You've just touched down on Pathfinder Writing and Careers' blog, which is a smart guide to help you step forward with confidence in your career!

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Giving Thanks To Those Who Have Helped Our Careers

A few weeks ago, I wrote about the importance and necessity to writing thank you notes to interviewers. But during this Thanksgiving week, it’s also a time of reflection to also send an expression of appreciation to those who have helped our careers.

Do you remember when you really got your first career break?

I sure do.  And all the ones that followed, too.

What you learn from your various mentors is cause for thanksgiving, as what we learn from them makes an impact on our careers. We take the valuable gifts that they give us and use that to chart our path, rolling our experiences into our next steps.

I have been very fortunate to maintain good friendships with my previous supervisors, all of whom are also people I still consider teachers. From my first ‘baby steps’ in making the transition from sloppy college kid to crisp professionalism, to building a collaborative partnerships while finding the fierce independence that it takes to be a business owner, these people have inspired me. They’ve instilled their experiences (successes and mistakes) and helped me chart my course.

Before 2009 draws to a close, it is my goal to send a personal note to each one of these gems thanking them for their help, guidance, insight, honesty and faith in me.

You should do the same. Without them, we wouldn't be who we are today.

They made not just your day, but your life.

No comments: